Georgetown Personal training will get you results up to three times faster than training on your own, offering services, motivation and knowledge that exceed general exercise.
If you’re ready to have fun and get fit, you’ve come to the right place. We have a complete array of group fitness classes by expert trainers to get you moving.
The Bao Institute for Healthy Living conforms to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism. You won’t have to navigate tricky contracts or deal with high-pressure sales tactics.
Read some of our testimonials to the rightShow all
Latest From Our Blog
- 23 July, 2015Whether you, a loved one or a doctor has decided it's time to lose weight, it's important to keep one thing in mind: You'll never be alone for this kind of journey. Every day, thousands of people around the world decide that it's time to eat better and get healthy by losing weight -- and every day, those people have no idea what they need to do. After all, there seems to be an insurmountable amount of decisions to make after that one:
- Should I count calories?
- Do I need to exercise every day?
- What are these "heart healthy" whole grains?
- Does the juice diet my friend use really work?
Fitness Tips ChecklistBeing fit can seem like an unattainable status reserved for those who can spend all hours of the day at the gym. There's more to healthy living than exercise -- in fact, exercise isn't even half the battle. Consider the following checklist as you prepare to come up with your personal lifestyle changes: Food is 80 percent of the battle:Let's put it this way: It only takes minutes to drink a 150-calorie soda, but two miles of walking just to burn 100 calories of it. It's far easier to control caloric deficit by monitoring food, not adding exercise. Without fixing your diet in addition to exercise, you'll merely tread water. Track everything:Depending on your dietary decisions, look for a way to track your calories. Even on paleolithic diets, the only way that a person can lose weight is by consuming fewer calories than are burned. If you've never tracked your meals before, do this for a week or two before making changes. This will give you a much stronger sense of how you eat and what can be cut. Eat breakfast:Eating lots of protein for breakfast gives your metabolism a kick-start to process the calories. If you skip the meal, you're much more likely to overeat for lunch, which is bad for the already problematic metabolism that's just now waking up. 500 calorie rule:If you eat 500 fewer calories than burned per day, you'll lose one pound each week. This could be as simple as removing sodas from your daily diet; the caloric deficit works in your favor, allowing you to lose weight. Eat real food:Taco Bell and Mountain Dew aren't helping; use common sense, and avoid it if you know it's not good for you. Even if you're eating within your caloric limits, chances are good you're not full; besides that, 100 Dorito calories are much different than 100 broccoli calories, in both serving size and quality. Muscle burns more calories:Those with higher percentages of body fat have more difficulty waking up their metabolism. As such, they're going to lose weight a bit more slowly. If you incorporate some strength training -- that's right, ladies, but you won't get bulky unless you eat excess calories and take supplements -- you'll build lean muscle. Lean muscle has an easier time burning calories, even if you aren't exercising. The more calories you burn, the more weight you'll lose; win-win. Protein is key for muscles:Fish, chicken, eggs, low-fat milk, peanuts, almonds and meat are all essential to building lean muscle. As you eat in a caloric deficit, you won't grow unwanted bulk in your arms; that kind of figure requires specific, dedicated training, especially in women. Not all carbs are the same:Like with calories stated above, carbs aren't all the same. If you're going to have them, make them good. You already know sugary cereal, donuts, fries, candy and bagels aren't considered good carbs. Stock up on fruits and vegetables and you'll definitely lose weight. Low fat is not automatically healthy:Carefully examine those frozen meal labels. They all claim to be low fat, but they merely replace it with sugar that will sit right in your gut. If you've been following along, we're looking to remove sugar. Generous vegetables and fruits:While excess fruit sugar is still a concern, vegetables are definitely fair game. Eat the ones you like all the time. Ditch liquid calories:Always go with water. Never go for sugary soda, fruit punch, alcohol, lemonade, chain coffee and the like. All of these drinks simply make consuming sugar and calories that much easier. Removing two sodas a day from your diet without making any other changes can help you drop 20 pounds in just one year. Be happy:If you won't enjoy the gym, don't go. If you don't like weight lifting, don't worry about it. Consider personal training to help you find the kind of exercises you'll be happy with. The most important thing is to be happy with your activity, making sure you do it at least 20 minutes per day. Try a group class:None of your friends want to take the healthy journey with you? If you want to add the missing social aspect to your routine, consider one of our group fitness classes in Georgetown.
Exercise TipsWhether you'd like to work with a personal trainer from Bao Institute or simply enjoy the many benefits of the fitness club in Georgetown, there is certainly something to accommodate any exercise you'd like to do. This section outlines a few tips to help keep your mind motivated for exercise. Rule of threes All workouts have three factors that should change: the weight used, the intensity engaged and volume. Maintain focus on one variable for each workout; for example, lower the number of reps but increase weight one day, then add a set while lowering the weight the next day. The pull-up Pull-ups are an excellent exercise that help strengthen the middle back, shoulders, lats and biceps. If you're not strong enough to pull one off yet, consider some dumbbell rows for back strength. When you can handle a reasonable weight, use a chair or resistance band to help further progress to pull-ups. Rowing machine warm-up Spending a few minutes on a rowing machine can help add some more flexibility to your warm-up, helping the blood reach the joints and muscles all over the body. It's a much better option than a stationary bike or treadmill since more of the body is engaged, although you won't want to use this as part of your core workout; it does not simulate natural body movement and would set you up for injury. Mix it up The best routine incorporates both cardio and strength training; warm up with some jump rope and jumping jacks, then jump into a circuit with push-ups, squats and some more jump rope. The objective is to keep your heart rate up while building lean muscle. While adding cardio to a strength routine is known to hurt muscle gains, this is not a concern if you're uninterested in bulking up with muscle hypertrophy; individuals seeking those kinds of gains should keep cardio limited to the warm-up and cool down stages.
The Paleo DietAs humans, we all have different tastes and experiences that work better for us. What you might swear on, another person would campaign for its end. That said, this section seeks to offer a solution for those who dislike counting calories and don't have any real plans to gain bulky muscle. The paleolithic diet is an attempt to eat like cavemen; basically, if the caveman couldn't eat it, then neither can you. In other words, you can eat anything that could have been hunted or found, such as leafy greens, nuts, meats, fish, veggies and seeds. Cavemen would never have found naturally occurring candy, cereal and pasta, so that's off the list. Instead, there is spaghetti squash and chicken stir fry. So why go through this kind of trouble? If you hate counting calories, that's a primary reason. You might not like to track how much you've eaten or worrying whether you've had X grams of Y nutrient so far. Not only that, but you now know that calories are not equal across the board; eating 400 calories worth of potato chips will never affect your body in the same way that 400 quality calories from protein and vegetables will. You might think "Oh good, another diet." Sure, it sounds like a fad -- eat what you want and don't count calories -- but it's a legitimate idea. Back in the day, we thrived as hunter-gatherers, long before anyone ever heard of a Healthy Choice meal. Our genetics haven't really changed all that much in the meantime. The average person back then was agile, athletic, versatile and largely healthy if you exclude problems that modern medicine could fix. The average person now is overweight, stressed out, depressed and dying from diseases that can be prevented with modern medicine. What happened? Agriculture: The revolution took off, and we became farmers, progressing to what we have now. Back then, there were no grains; grains have a bit of a strange reaction in our system, which can be read in greater detail on Mark's Daily Apple. The short version: Grains are made of carbs, which become glucose (or sugar) and is used for energy. Whatever isn't used becomes fat. So if we don't eat more than 300 grams of carbs each day, how will we get energy? Turns out our bodies are made to work on fewer carbs than we typically eat, so it's not that big a problem to have less carbs. When there are few carbs in the body -- which is the way our biology is used to operating -- it will start using stored fat for energy, known as ketogenesis. By sticking to real foods, you consume filling, nutritious food with quality calories. It's nearly impossible to overeat. To get the same number of calories that a bag of chips has, you'd need bags and bags of spinach and broccoli. Guess which one is going to keep you full for the rest of the day -- a giant plate filled with different quality foods, or a single bag of chips that could be eaten in the span of minutes?
Get in Shape TodayAt Bao Institute, we offer the finest personal trainers to help you plot out a path that will spell success for your healthy future. Have children? Bring them too. For more information, feel free to send us an email or give us a call; we're more than happy to answer any questions. With this guide in hand, you have all the tools you need to get yourself started with a healthier, happier lifestyle. Remember the main goal is to eat at a caloric deficit and to increase the intensity and resistance of your workouts for best results.
- 16 January, 2015Area When you pick a fitness club on the other side of one's city, will you be able to stay motivated and make an effort to visit frequently? Significantly on all those times when your willpower is on a minimum amount and your work agenda is past busy. An excellent fitness club site will ideally be someplace amongst your own home and your job. Getting a fitness club in the place will almost certainly minimize your pressure degree, continue to keep you executing workouts and preserve you numerous of travel time. Prices Becoming a member of a Fitness Club Georgetown is usually a huge money financial commitment. Fitness center membership charges are not to generally be taken frivolously and tend to be the primary reason why people decide on a particular gymnasium. Low-cost gym subscriptions may well look like a far better selection in the beginning, but may be a lousy alternative if these fitness centers can't accommodate your preferences. The same thing goes for more costly fitness gyms. You may have to pay an excessive amount of for anything you are obtaining. Additionally, numerous fitness gyms will require a registration payment. You could possibly just anticipate any special supply to save lots of on these charges; however, you can also talk to the employees. Propose that you're taking into consideration numerous other gyms at the same time and figure out which kind of offer they're able to current you with right away. Companies Health and fitness center facilities and expenses go hand in hand. In case you usually are not scheduling on working with considerably of the services the gym has to offer, you would possibly be more than paying. Alternatively, should you like a sauna or perhaps a decent swim soon after your normal exercise session, a less costly health club without the need of all those facilities may not be right for yourself. You'll want to discover what the gym's amenities are and how consistently you may be making use of these. A present day service is often a great way to have your consideration to sign-up, however, you must be sure you will want all the health club must provide. Should you need to have specialized facilities for instance no cost vehicle parking, team lessons or group classes, see regardless of whether they may be bundled in your membership or whether or not you must fork out added for these. Membership Contract A wonderful fitness club agreement exists in order to safeguard equally your individual and the fitness club's passions. Learn the way the staff communicate with you and if they is usually pushy. Whenever they hope you to definitely join on the location, stroll away. Ideally you would probably wish to have the prepared arrangement home with you, go through it pretty cautiously and consider it. Figure out just how much time the penned agreement is sweet for and if you can find any hid charges. Will your agreement carry more than quickly? Hammer out a manage the workers, look at it being an activity and you can commonly get drastically decrease premiums. Ask for to test the facility before signing a binding arrangement, but check out for virtually any paper that you choose to really need to indication. Considerably less respectable fitness gyms could slip you an agreement even though indicating it is just a type for "liability purposes". Generally search into the conditions and disorders of the membership agreement. Normal Users What is actually vital is usually that you decide on a fitness center where by you can experience at ease performing exercises. You should not sense unpleasant, threatened or confused. Come across out what sort of folks are doing exercises at your fitness club of preference. Are they definitely your favorite type of people? If you desire to workout intensely, you will not similar to a fitness club exactly where welcoming chat is on the routine. In the event you like assembly new individuals, that you are greater off in a fitness center where by there is a fantastic personal ambiance and exactly where people interact simply with each other. In circumstance you don't enjoy co-ed fitness centers; you may choose for a girl only or men's only gym in close proximity to you. Fitness Center Machines Whenever you go to a fitness club of your respective alternative, you should definitely get a look all around. What precisely would you notice? Are there ample devices, body weight plates and hand weights for everyone? Make a work to locate out if customers are ready about in line for well-liked fitness tools and workouts. Some gyms are famed for applying cut-off dates on fitness cardio equipment. For anyone who is aspiring to do a good deal of cardio, this time limit will not be superior in your case. When you certainly are a certainly major bodybuilder or choose to change into one, make sure that the obtainable dumbbells, fat hundreds and body weight plates fulfill your dreams
- 14 November, 2013Alkalize your body by managing your pH level to recover faster and prevent disease. A more alkaline body will improve your ability to remove toxins, and speed your recover from intense training. Having a healthy pH that is more alkaline is critical because if your pH is low and you’re more acidic, the body’s enzymes can’t function, negatively impacting protein synthesis and detoxification. The acidity of the body is measured by pH level, which is an acronym for “potential of hydrogen.” It is calculated on a scale of 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral and the normal reading for water. A value of less than 7 is acidic and more than 7 is alkaline. You want your pH to be more alkaline because this leads to enhancement of the body’s anti-inflammatory mechanisms. A new study in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition showed that by drinking water with a greater mineral content that was much more alkaline than normal (it had a pH of 10), subjects increased their blood and urine pH readings dramatically. After a week of only drinking alkaline water, participants increased blood pH from an average of 6.23 to 7.07 and urine pH from an average of 7.52 to 7.69. They also stayed more hydrated by elevating their pH. A previous study found that giving alkaline water to cyclists who performed a dehydrating exercise bout resulted in a substantial improvement in hydration levels and accelerated recovery. The study didn’t test work capacity or performance—only hydration status—but the findings indicate that a better pH can enhance these, especially in endurance sports. Back to the original study—it was done in “free-living conditions” meaning that diet, exercise, and daily activities were not altered in any way—the only thing that changed was the type of water the participants drank. The study also included a placebo group that drank normal water with a pH of 7, and they had no change in blood or urinary pH level. A low pH is linked with greater disease risk, including diabetes, heart attack, osteoporosis, loss of muscle mass, and cancer. Overtraining can acidify the body since secretion of the stress hormone cortisol will decrease pH. Eating a typical Western diet will also lower pH. Processed foods, refined sugar, corn, sugar, gluten, alcohol, and soda will lower your pH. Strategies to elevate pH include eating lots of green vegetables and high-antioxidant fruits. Green drinks will also help you get alkaline. Drinking water with a high pH, as done in this study, will do the trick as well. Take note that in this study, participants who naturally drank more water daily (an average of at least 3 liters a day rather than the total group average of 2.3 liters) elevated their pH level much more rapidly than the group as a whole. It took a whole week for significant changes in pH level to occur with the smaller water intake, whereas it took only 3 days to dramatically elevate pH in the subjects who drank a larger dose. Use this evidence to make a commitment to always drinking at least 3 liters of water that has a higher pH. You will recover faster, detoxify better, and feel more energized.
- 14 November, 2013Low Carb Diets Help Eliminate Normally Craved Foods From Dietby Charles Poliquin onWednesday, November 02, 2011 6:06 AMGet rid of food cravings that lead to weight gain and mess with your ideal body composition by eliminating those foods from your diet. In the long term, eliminating enticing foods that lead to fat gain will allow you to no longer crave those foods and be leaner. A new study shows that by eating a low-carb diet, participants significantly decreased cravings for high-carb foods, such as sweets and fast foods. Participants on a low-carb diet were also less bothered by hunger than a group that ate a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet.A low carb-diet is preferable for both weight loss and building and maintaining muscle. Food cravings and desire for restricted foods can contribute to non-compliance with diets that gets in the way of weight-loss and muscle-building goals. If you’ve read my articles on optimal carb-intake or rebalancing your fat intake, you may be initially scared off because of your experience of trying to avoid these foods that you crave. But new research supports the elimination of food cravings and the use of a low-carb nutrition plan for long-term optimal body composition.A new study published in the journal Obesity compared the use of a long-term low-carb diet with a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet in overweight individuals. The low-carb diet group was instructed to eat foods rich in fat and protein until they were satisfied, while limiting carbs to 20 g/day in the form of low-glycemic index vegetables for the first three months. Thereafter, they were allowed to increase carb intake by 5 g/day each week by consuming more vegetables, a limited amount of fruits, and eventually small quantities of whole grains and dairy products until a desired weight was achieved. The study lasted a total of two-and-a-half years. A low-fat diet group was instructed to limit calorie intake to 1,200 to 1,500 calories for women and 1,500 to 1,800 calories for men, with 30 percent of calories coming from fat, 15 percent from protein, and 55 percent from carbs.The low-carb group resulted in less preference for carbs and fewer cravings for high-carb foods, particularly those high in sugar and sweets. The low-fat diet group decreased cravings for high-fat foods and also had less of a preference for high-protein foods, which were restricted as part of this diet. Take away from this the assurance that eliminating specific foods that get in the way of the body you want won’t lead to food cravings if you do it right. The best bet is to eliminate the foods you crave, and for a lean physique with maximal muscle gain, opt for a high-protein, high-fat diet with minimal carb intake.Researchers suggest that eliminating foods you crave or prefer but don’t want to eat is effective because food cravings are a conditioned expression of hunger that result from pairing consumption of those foods with triggers. Basically, when you get hungry, if you eat high-carb or unhealthy fast foods regularly, you will train your brain to “crave” those foods the next time you feel hungry. The challenging part is initially breaking the connection between hunger stimuli and eating foods that you want to avoid. Eliminating them and substituting them with a preferable, healthier food such as a high-protein item, will allow cravings to diminish and you to feel full because you’re eating macronutrients that your body can use for protein synthesis.It may seem like a no-brainer, but, if it is, why do so many people struggle with weight loss? Probably because they go at it halfway and don’t completely eliminate the foods that result in cravings. In the study in Obesity, the low-carb diet participants completely eliminated problematic carbs and only ate vegetable-based carbs. Weight loss in this study was associated with reductions in food cravings, but because of the study design, researchers were not able to associate weight loss with robust change in weight. They do write that “additional correlations would be considered significant (between weight loss and diet composition) if a less conservative measurement was adopted,” indicating that future studies may provide further insight into how eliminating certain foods can support weight loss.
- 11 November, 2012Healthy eating starts with one key activity-healthy shopping. When you head to the grocery store, it is easy to pick up the types of food that are bad for our bodies without even realizing it. Shopping for a healthy diet can be difficult if you do not know how to do so, but with these tips, you should find it easier the next time you head to the grocery store. First, have a plan before you leave your house. Use the sales fliers to check out the great products that are on sale and take an inventory of your pantry and refrigerator to see what foods you need to purchase. Make a list of all of the foods you’ll need and stick to that list. Allow yourself one or two compulsory buys, but otherwise stay to the ingredients you’ll need to cook healthy meals for yourself and your family for the rest of the week. Before you leave, review your list and take out any unnecessary junk food (more…)
What makes the BAO Institute different?
Its all about you! We are committed to helping achieve the results you want! Our personal trainers will get you on the right track towards the goals that are important to you! Bring your motivation and we’ll work together to get your results!
High Energy Group Fitness Classes and Semi Private Training Sessions will keep you pumped in a fun group setting or unleash your personal will with One on One Personal Training
We care about our members. Enjoy peace-of-mind while we look after your children in our newly renovated Child Care Room. Relax and unwind in the Sauna then catch up with other members and trainers at our Juice Bar for a post work out smoothie.